So mac n’ cheese has always been a comfort food. I wanted to make it a mission to upgrade it, not necessarily in taste, since we all know a good mac n’ cheese cannot be beat, but in health. This mac n’ cheese has veggies, carrots, onions, spinach, and whatever else you want to throw in. Also this is a recipe for people who are a bit more experienced in the kitchen, as you are making sauce from scratch, which is a roux. All it consists of is equal part fat and flour. I used butter for the fat, but you can use olive oil ect.
Also, there is quite a bit of veggies, I added them to make this a little healthier and add some micro nutrients, feel free to leave them out.
Now onto the recipe!
Upgraded Mac N' Cheese
A new and healthier spin on a traditional baked mac n' cheese.
- 16 oz dried pasta of choice (I used penne)
- 2 medium white onions, sliced thin
- 4 medium carrots, large dice
- 2-3 C. of chopped spinach
- 4 TBSP flour
- 4 TBSP salted butter
- 2 1/2 – 3 C. of milk. (I used unsweetened almond milk, use milk of choice.)
- 2 C. each of cheddar and mozzarella cheese, shredded.
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 C. of Italian style bread crumbs.
- Put a tablespoon of butter in a skillet on low heat and cook the onion till soft and translucent, about 20-25 minutes.
- Boil some salted water, then put in the pasta and carrots. Cook till the pasta is toothsome. (A little firm, not mushy, not crunchy.) Drain and put in pan you are going to bake in.
- Remove the onion and mix in pasta and carrots.
- Preheat the oven to 350° before starting your roux.
- Melt the butter in a pan and whisk in the flour, cook until slightly brown. While that is cooking slightly heat up the milk then slowly add to the butter/flour mixture. (This is the roux)
- Once the roux is well mixed add in 2 cups of cheddar cheese and 1 cup of the mozzarella, saving the rest for the top.
- Mix in the nutmeg, pepper, and salt to taste.
- Mix the sauce with the pasta then add in the spinach, mixing well. Top with the bread crumbs and the rest of the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Let cool and enjoy!