So I have quite a bit of deer in my freezer, one of which is a shoulder roast. This is a simple easy to follow recipe, also if you don’t have an Instant Pot you should definitely invest in one, it is my most used kitchen appliances by a long shot.
So all you really need is some vegetables, stock, and of course, the deer roast. Sear the meat, toss everything in, and press start. It really is that easy.
Also it is pretty healthy too, large dose of veggies and a lean protein, so absolutely no guilt here. Also my husband LOVED it, all thumbs up from him.
Instant Pot Deer Roast
A delicious and healthy deer roast recipe. The deer can also be replaced with beef if you don't have access to wild game!
- 3 Pounds Deer Shoulder/Roast
- 1 Large Onion
- 5-6 Medium Carrots
- 3 Pieces of Celery
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 2 Jalapenos
- 2 C. Red Cabbage
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil (or oil of choosing)
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Miso Paste (optional but adds great flavor)
- Put the instant pot on saute mode, high heat. Wait until it reads “Hot” then add oil. Season the meat with salt and pepper and sear both sides until a golden crust forms on each side. Remove from pot.
2. Add in chopped all vegetables, except for the cabbage, and cook for a couple minutes, add broth and deglaze the pot. (Scrape the brown bits at the bottom.) Add in cabbage.
3. Add in the paprika and miso then stir well.
4. Set meat on top of the veggies and put the lid on, press meat/stew mode and set it for 45 minutes, or until meat falls apart. Add additional seasonings to taste.
5. Let cool and enjoy!